A quilt challenge offers guild members the opportunity to challenge themselves by making a quilt that meets specific guidelines. A committee decides the rules of the challenge. The quilts are displayed at the July guild meeting and members are invited to vote for their favorites. All challenge quilts are exhibited when possible, but typically a subset of quilts (those with the most votes) are hung and displayed at local quilt shops and have, on occasion, traveled to local and national quilt shows.
2018 CHALLENGE RULES
“I FOUND AN OBJECT”
The objective of this challenge is to find an object and incorporate it into your quilt. Do shiny things catch your eye? Have you found an interesting object and wondered, “How can I use that in a quilt?” Look for things around your house, outside on the ground, or other interesting or unintended places. Then use this item to be your muse in a quilt.
- Quilts must be embellished with your found object or objects. Ideas include, but are not limited to: bottle caps, buttons, rickrack, broken toys, money, bangles, clean “trash”. You may use any amount of objects and each object can be different.
- The size of your quilt must not be larger than 18 inches by 18 inches. You do not have to make a square quilt, but your shape must fit inside an 18” x 18” square.
- Quilts must be made completely by the entrant and specifically for this challenge, worked on and completed between January 2018 and June 2018. Quilts must be made by members only.
- All quilts must have three layers and quilted or tied together, to be considered a quilt.
- Anything goes for design. You can use traditional blocks, applique, art, etc. Quilts will be judged in categories of design.
- Attach a 3” to 4” hanging sleeve on the back. Attach a label with your name, title of quilt, and PPQG 2018 Challenge listed. You may include additional information on your label, but these are the minimum requirements. Also, pin a piece of fabric over your label to cover it during the contest.
- Quilts must be turned in at the June Guild Meeting. No exceptions please. Please turn in your quilt in a labeled bag that conceals your quilt.
- The quilts will be revealed at the July Guild Meeting with a slide show and awards presentation.